Table of Love
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How To Be Popular by Finnish Kids

+10
out of the hollow
JaneLove
BrowniesBeffy
Poetic
ladyxcabaret
Krissy
javieljones
Winter
Liisu
EetuJaKeijut
14 posters

Go down

How To Be Popular by Finnish Kids Empty How To Be Popular by Finnish Kids

Post by EetuJaKeijut Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:56 am

I just readed this article from Finnish magazine about what you should and what not to do to be popular.
I'm shocked, these people really live by all these rules Shocked Well i'm happily unpopular lol.

So the answers came from 15-16 aged guys and girls.

WHAT NOT TO WEAR?
Five years old clothes, clothes from second hand shop, childish clothes like Mickey Mouse - shirt, gothic clothes, Lolita -clothes, metal (music) clothes, Gant - clothes (because people might think your gay), clothes from cheap markets.

''If you skate you need to wear Osiris, if your 'fruittari' (kind of metrosexual) you need to wear Lacoste and if your hip hopper you need to wear Karl Kani clothes''

WHAT NOT TO LISTEN?
Old music, classical music, music that's not mainstream, mellow music, church music etc.

''You need to listen to music that's on top-10 charts''

WHAT NOT TO DO ON YOUR FREE TIME?
Scouting, computer games, boys balet, boys horse riding, boys piano playing, playing violin, World of Warcraft - game, golf, church clubs, girls martial arts, reading fantasy books, irish dance (lol)

''You cant do church clubs, nothing different or 'weird', for example if boy dances''

WRONG WAY TO THINK?
Being over-religious, caring for the nature, liking wars, religions that are not popular and accepting gay rights.

''You cant like reading or fantasy. You are not supposed to have an too strong opinion''

Laughing I've never been prouder of being different. These kids have no idea of actual life. I kinda pity them, rules rules rules..
EetuJaKeijut
EetuJaKeijut

http://www.myspace.com/epicaaliikaafanittava

Back to top Go down

How To Be Popular by Finnish Kids Empty Re: How To Be Popular by Finnish Kids

Post by Liisu Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:05 am

OMG this is soooo sick affraid
Liisu
Liisu

Back to top Go down

Post by Winter Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:26 am

Is it ok to breathe?
Winter
Winter

Back to top Go down

Post by EetuJaKeijut Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:43 am

I'm not sure, possibly if you inhale spray tan?
EetuJaKeijut
EetuJaKeijut

http://www.myspace.com/epicaaliikaafanittava

Back to top Go down

Post by javieljones Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:03 am

WOW. That's ridiculous XD

You're popular with us, Ene! Razz
javieljones
javieljones

http://www.myspace.com/javieljones

Back to top Go down

Post by Krissy Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:21 am

That's just wrong Shocked

Krissy

Back to top Go down

Post by ladyxcabaret Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:24 am

How To Be Popular by Finnish Kids Tumblrl7tn881iyk1qa37h1
ladyxcabaret
ladyxcabaret

Back to top Go down

Post by Poetic Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:20 am

I don't believe this. That someone would write this is terrible. And can you imagine how all the girls who are already not eating, buying the most expensive clothes, etc react when they see this? If girls at my old school read this, the reaction would have been terrible. Girls wouldn't know how to react. I wouldn't be surprised if there was an attempted suicide. And for this magaizine to publish that, it's in humane.

Sometimes I get SO confused. Why is being popular worth it? You surround yourself with people you don't get along with half the time. You get into so much drama. You don't know what a "true" friendship is. You have no freedom. Your favorite store/song/radio station/makeup/etc. HAS to be the same as everyone else around you. You can't have the slightest bit of differences. And the work you have to do to become popular! It's absolutely absurd. I don't know why anyone would put themselves through so much to get only hurt in return.

Personally, I think it's because they have no other choice. The only thing that comes to their brain naturally is to be popular. It doesn't even cross their mind to eat, or to talk to an unpopular kid (other than calling them gay of course!) It's how their parents raised them.

In my high school, there was a group of girls. On and off friends 6-12. Inside that group, I know 4 of their names. And those are ones that I had in my classes grades K-5. And the other 7 I know all of their names, but I can't but them to a face. Those 11 girls are identical. Same makeup, clothes, interests, EVERYTHING. They all LAUGH the exact same way. I honestly can't tell them apart.

Isn't it so great to understand the world? To know what things truly are under the surface.

What makes me so sad is right now, we have a community where we all know how wrong this is. But when Kerli is on mainstream radio, when the girls who take this seriously hear her, she loses that. I don't want to lose that.
Poetic
Poetic

Back to top Go down

Post by BrowniesBeffy Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:49 am

That is unbelievable(spelling?). I've never heard anything like that. I'm so happy that I don't care about popularity, filling all of those requirements, lol xD
But it is actually a bit funny too >_<

Last edited by BrowniesBeffy on Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
BrowniesBeffy
BrowniesBeffy

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneLove Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:57 am

So THAT'S why I'm not popular. lol!
(real life or anywhere else...)
I can point out one flaw -- I only know one skater who wears Osiris. Haha. Here the popular brands are Nike and DC.
Anyways.
Fascinating, how in our society, the rules to be "popular" can fit in a few paragraphs. So glad I'm not popular...
JaneLove
JaneLove

Back to top Go down

Post by out of the hollow Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:25 am

...... Suspect

Ewwww. I can't believe you found that in a magazine.

Ene wrote:I'm not sure, possibly if you inhale spray tan?

LOL
out of the hollow
out of the hollow

Back to top Go down

Post by Krissy Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:21 pm

i can't belive people follow them rules. Rolling Eyes

Krissy

Back to top Go down

Post by bashtoo Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:58 pm

Okay, this is ridiculous. I hope this article is a joke...
bashtoo
bashtoo

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLastSongbird Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:20 pm

This is disgusting...at least being "unpopular" means you have the freedom to be yourself. Fuck all the people who don't like who you are.

"Religions that are not popular?!" "Wrong way to think - caring for nature." Ummm...what? Apparently we're all meant to be clones of each other. We can't do anything different after all... Rolling Eyes And what the hell is wrong with Irish dancing? Laughing

This is so bad it's almost funny. Almost.
TheLastSongbird
TheLastSongbird

Back to top Go down

Post by Claudia Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:24 pm

childish clothes like Mickey Mouse - shirt

excuse me, I see people walking around wearing spongebob shirts and mickey mouse shirts, heck I even walk around with a flintstone Bambam shirt!

I don't want to change to be popular, everyone at my Primary school knows me and respects me because I was the kindest and most helpful (Hence me getting school citizenship award) Sorry I don't want to be skinny and fake if that is what it takes to be popular, I'll be me.

I lost a best friend from Kindy to popularity, many friends actually. we rarely speak to each other now.
Claudia
Claudia

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1415701602&ref=search

Back to top Go down

Post by Iridescent_Revival_<3 Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:36 am

That's so strange. All of the popular girls at my school are into things from childhood. Okay, seriously, do you realise how cool people think Dora the Explorer is? I wouldn't be surprised if she had her own minor cult here!!

To be honest, I'm beginning to feel neutral about popularity. If people would prefer that path, then so be it. I kinda feel cliche whenever I diss populars because it just seems too obvious. Besides, we're all different, right? Some people in the world genuinely meet that criteria without "selling out". It's just who they are.

Surely, we make them popular by paying attention to them at all? It's usually just a group of friends who like to bully people. Honestly, nothing to be afraid of there.

Whoa.... This doesn't sound like me haha xD.
Iridescent_Revival_<3
Iridescent_Revival_<3

http://thefaetoldmetodoit.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:47 am

My school had the cliche's. The mean stuck up rude snobs. The goth chicks who dressed up in everything black..Then the loser's the geeks. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by BrowniesBeffy Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:39 am

Iridescent_Revival_<3 wrote:That's so strange. All of the popular girls at my school are into things from childhood. Okay, seriously, do you realise how cool people think Dora the Explorer is? I wouldn't be surprised if she had her own minor cult here!!

Same with my school. they don't like Mickey Mouse, but cartoon character like Ed, Edd'n Eddy and Spongebob Squarepants are popular. It's so weird.
But I guess when it comes to popularity it's different from country to country..
BrowniesBeffy
BrowniesBeffy

Back to top Go down

Post by JaneLove Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:31 am

It's also interesting that here, these are the characteristics of the larger public high school. My school is a small boarding school. Everyone is super chill there, and people don't really care what clothes you wear or anything. However, the competitive skiers and snowboarders always know each other much better and tend to be the more "popular" than the rest of us. Also stoners. I just think it's interesting how the criteria of popularity differs not only from place to place, but even from school to school.
JaneLove
JaneLove

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:51 pm

yeah, don't forget the people who do drugs cause they think it's cool Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Krissy Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:46 pm

my high school had the different groups too,

Krissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down