Table of Love
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kerli At Lollapalooza: A Preview of the Pride of Estonia

+11
BrowniesBeffy
Lilee
catloafwithpotato
ElvenSoldier
Midnight
Ragdoll*Bunny
MaryCourage
Krissy
javieljones
KuuLaps
Natt
15 posters

Go down

Kerli At Lollapalooza: A Preview of the Pride of Estonia Empty Kerli At Lollapalooza: A Preview of the Pride of Estonia

Post by Natt Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:13 am

Kerli At Lollapalooza: A Preview of the Pride of Estonia Kerlip10
When going with her more natural look, Kerli is quite easy on the eyes. Not exactly the best reason to see her at Lollapalooza, but a reason nonetheless.

Artist: Kerli.
When she is playing: 3 PM, Friday August 6, BMI Stage.

Kerli At Lollapalooza: A Preview of the Pride of Estonia Tumblr11
Kerli that most people see these days: a caricature of a Japanese school girl.

3 Reasons to see her

Hear what “Bubble Goth” sounds like: Kerli calls her style and music “bubble goth” (actually, a music critic called it that and Kerli just went with it), and seeing how this style translates to stage show could be intriguing. For a sample of Kerli’s visual cues, check out her videos. They range range from nightmarishly odd (talking dolls ) in “Walking on Air” to fantasy-world odd (riding unicorns and riding a swing in a magical forest ) in “Army of Love”. Those are also her two most notable songs. On “Walking on Air,” the sound of her voice fluctuates between Nelly Furtatdo’s and Bjork’s while the beat seems to combine wind-up doll noises and heavy synth. Her new track “Army of Love” relies a little too much on the autone, but it’s extremely danceable.

She’s an Estonian pop star: Seeing Kerli provides some insight into what a girl born-and-raised in Estonia but bred on American pop music turns into. Even if the show is awful, it could still inspire a rather fascinating thesis paper.

She could be the next Lady Gaga:
The Kerli and Lady Gaga comparisons exist because they are obvious (so obvious even Kerli has ranted about Gaga copying her); they are both blond-haired (well, sometimes) women in their 20’s who dress in an avant-garde way and sing pop music. Truthfully, the two seem pretty different. Visually, Gaga dresses like a fashion-school experiment and Kerli like a barbie doll with a Japanese-teenager stylist. Sonically, Gaga’s songs consistently crest with big pop beats, while Kerli hasn’t quite mastered that ability. But we will play along with the Kerli and Gaga comparison in this respect: in 2007, an unheard of Lady Gaga played an afternoon gig at the BMI Stage at Lolla, and three years later she was a headliner at the show. This year, Kerli makes her first performance at Lolla during an afternoon gig at the BMI stage, and with a heavy hand of fuzzy logic, you might say Kerli is following in Gaga’s footsteps and will be a Lollapalooza headliner come 2014. We’d bet everything against that from actually happening, but who knows, this could be your chance to see Kerli before she becomes an international star with a 10-digit Twitter following.

Kerli At Lollapalooza: A Preview of the Pride of Estonia 09111410
Fantastically creepy and artistic. Kerli as a mannequin. Gaga must be fuming she did not come up with this

And 3 reasons not to see Kerli:

She has some really bad songs that make us wonder who the real Kerli is. On one hand she seems positively weird, which we like. But then you hear a song like “Beautiful Day,” which has no business being on able called Love is Dead. It seems like some record studio slosh that was forced on her, so maybe it can be forgiven. But even more awful is her Alice in Wonderland inspired track “Tea Party,” where her lyrics are laced with laughably bad sexual innuendos (for instance: “I got the goodies baked / Got more than you can take / Just try and nibble on my biscuits and my rainbow cake”). This is one of those songs where Kerli seems to be doing a foreigners impression of a U.S. pop singer instead of just being herself. And it’s cover-your-ears bad.

A diminished stage show: Festival performances typically mean condensed acts, which can be good, but condensed theatrics is usually bad pop stars. Their stage acts need to be visually strong. There are clips on the Internet of Kerli performing live, and many of them lead you to believe that she’s a performer who prefers a stage show with an array of visual interest. The BMI stage in the middle of the day might not bode well for any theatrics, especially since she slated for to play for only 45 minutes.

Lady Gaga’s Lolla performance in 2007 wasn’t all that great. So if Kerli is following in her footsteps, well, this performance should be underwhelming.

Who we recommend seeing at 3 pm on Friday during Lollapalooza: Foster the People. Kerli’s interesting, and under different circumstances we’d check her out. But Foster the People, and the band’s infectious indie pop, are tailor-made for afternoon slots during music festivals. Singing along to “Pumped Up Kicks” under the sun might be one of your favorite memories from Lollapalooza. We’re not as confident about any moments from Kerli’s act.

http://manupchicago.com/kerli-lollapalooza/
Natt
Natt

http://kerliland.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Kerli At Lollapalooza: A Preview of the Pride of Estonia Empty Re: Kerli At Lollapalooza: A Preview of the Pride of Estonia

Post by KuuLaps Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:28 am

LOL. this was funny. Natt you rock. I love you
KuuLaps
KuuLaps

Back to top Go down

Kerli At Lollapalooza: A Preview of the Pride of Estonia Empty Re: Kerli At Lollapalooza: A Preview of the Pride of Estonia

Post by javieljones Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:33 am

Baha XD I face palmed [but also giggled] a few times while reading this. Not exactly the most positive read
javieljones
javieljones

http://www.myspace.com/javieljones

Back to top Go down

Post by Krissy Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:04 am

Can the media just leave the whole lady gag vs kerli thing alone.It's so stupid.

Krissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:03 am

I have to admit this kinda made me laugh lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Natt Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:05 am

Kerttu <3

Aww even.I didn't put on Twitter.. only ToL and FB
Natt
Natt

Back to top Go down

Post by MaryCourage Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:14 pm

ugh such a bad article *shudders*
It annoys me how the writer goes on and on with the Gaga comparison. Just drop it, will you. Rolling Eyes
MaryCourage
MaryCourage

http://soundcloud.com/marycourage

Back to top Go down

Post by Krissy Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:49 pm

MaryCourage wrote:ugh such a bad article *shudders*
It annoys me how the writer goes on and on with the Gaga comparison. Just drop it, will you. Rolling Eyes
It seemed to me like the writer thinks kerli is a "joke" & GAGA is some "God".

Krissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragdoll*Bunny Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:22 am

I honestly don't get the Gaga vs. Kerli comparison still. They are different. This is seriously getting old.

Ragdoll*Bunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Natt Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:50 am

maybe we should stopped saying about Lady Gaga

she wrote today on twitter:

Oy, all you haters, fussing over some fucking hair color. Chill out. I'm not into this dramatic bullshit. It's about M U S I C
Natt
Natt

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:55 am

oy....why did she say something stupid like that? Rolling Eyes

she should just ignore it, now it will make her look bad AGAIN Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Natt Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:05 am

SecretPerson many people which wrote to her on Twitter write to her about Lady Gaga now by hair :/
Natt
Natt

Back to top Go down

Post by Natt Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:09 am

really, I think that people make bad... Kerli is unique but people only comparised her to Gaga.. it must be tiring....

(I remember that she said that she doesn't like be comparised. When Gaga makes blue hair I didn't put post about it on KerliPoland but I saw that almost all her fan sites, put it.... )
Natt
Natt

Back to top Go down

Post by Midnight Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:28 am

KerliPoland wrote:maybe we should stopped saying about Lady Gaga

she wrote today on twitter:

Oy, all you haters, fussing over some fucking hair color. Chill out. I'm not into this dramatic bullshit. It's about M U S I C

Did Kerli wrote this? Or Lady GaGa??
I don't get it at the moment...sorryyy =/
Midnight
Midnight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:29 am

Kerli wrote it.

and yes Natt you are right, she is probably frustrated. BUT she should just ignore this. When she says things like this it brings negative attention for her.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragdoll*Bunny Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:33 am

I honestly still don't see the similarities between Gaga and Kerli. I just don't get it.

Ragdoll*Bunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Krissy Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:52 pm

I agree with secretpersonfp

Krissy

Back to top Go down

Post by ElvenSoldier Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:49 pm

There's only so much you can take of something before you break and say something though. Ignoring it is the best thing but at a point you don't even care, you just want to end whatever is bothering you.
ElvenSoldier
ElvenSoldier

Back to top Go down

Post by catloafwithpotato Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:20 pm

KerliPoland wrote:(I remember that she said that she doesn't like be comparised. When Gaga makes blue hair I didn't put post about it on KerliPoland but I saw that almost all her fan sites, put it.... )
I think that was good of you. Something silly like someone having the same hair color isn't news. Smile Those other fan sites should follow your lead and stop drama-mongering.
catloafwithpotato
catloafwithpotato

http://katloaf.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilee Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:43 pm

catloafwithpotato wrote:
KerliPoland wrote:(I remember that she said that she doesn't like be comparised. When Gaga makes blue hair I didn't put post about it on KerliPoland but I saw that almost all her fan sites, put it.... )
I think that was good of you. Something silly like someone having the same hair color isn't news. Smile Those other fan sites should follow your lead and stop drama-mongering.

*rolls eyes* I hate how it's always big news when someone has the same hair style, outfit, etc. Why does it matter?
Lilee
Lilee

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:26 pm

Because we're raised in a society where a lot of emphasis is put on being "unique" and "original," so if two people have similar traits one of them MUST be unoriginal and a copycat. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilee Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:59 pm

Ministar wrote:Because we're raised in a society where a lot of emphasis is put on being "unique" and "original," so if two people have similar traits one of them MUST be unoriginal and a copycat. Rolling Eyes

So true and so sad...I'm glad I'm not the only one is tired people being labeled "unique" or a "copycat". It's too bad we judge uniqueness on the type of clothes someone wears more so than the talent they posses or just their personality in general. It's like, focus less of being "original" and focus more on just being YOURSELF! Jeez...
Lilee
Lilee

Back to top Go down

Post by BrowniesBeffy Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:42 am

"she could be the next lady gaga".. oh god, please.
BrowniesBeffy
BrowniesBeffy

Back to top Go down

Post by Natt Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:07 pm

today, also new york post and cliche called her next Gaga, this is sick :/
Natt
Natt

Back to top Go down

Post by catloafwithpotato Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:08 pm

But Gaga is hugely successful and has tons of fans. I think that should be considered a compliment. I love you
catloafwithpotato
catloafwithpotato

Back to top Go down

Post by MaryCourage Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:32 pm

^Yeah, I think so too. I mean, after all she is the biggest act out there today. Razz
MaryCourage
MaryCourage

http://soundcloud.com/marycourage

Back to top Go down

Post by Quincy Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:48 pm

catloafwithpotato wrote:But Gaga is hugely successful and has tons of fans. I think that should be considered a compliment. I love you

I know, I don't get why people think all Gaga comparisons are bad. If Kerli is the next Gaga in the sense that she's about to make it big, then it's a huge compliment. People compare every rising pop star, not just Kerli, with Gaga because right know she's on top, it's just how it always is. If this was 10 years ago Kerli'd be compared to Britney, because it's a reference most people are familiar with, they compare with artists that are relevant, it'd be pointless to, say, compare Kerli to Emilie Autumn within mainstream crowds because no one would have a clue who that is.

I don't think the article is the most flattering, but it's not hugely negative either. The author made it sound like they're interested but someone they're more interested and excited by is playing at the same time so they're not going to be catching her show. The reasons to miss her performance are fairly spot on I think, Tea Party is a fun song but it's cheesy. It's not something you hear and think 'serious recording artist'. She'll do her best but theatrics won't be as great as they could be either.
The reasons to see her could be better though. I think that they should have mentioned her talent more than her look.
Quincy
Quincy

http://madremonstere.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by catloafwithpotato Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:36 pm

Yeah, exactly. Calling her "the next" Gaga means they expect her to blow up.

Oh yeah, the article here, I thought was pretty bad.
Lady Gaga’s Lolla performance in 2007 wasn’t all that great. So if Kerli is following in her footsteps, well, this performance should be underwhelming.
Stupid, stupid reasoning.
But that's just my opinion. Smile
catloafwithpotato
catloafwithpotato

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanilla Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:26 pm

I'm just plain mad about the whole GaGa thing. I mean, Kerli has been around longer and people just don;t understand what was going on at the time and the whole shabang. GRR! I'm really mad about the whole non-good thing and following in the footsteps, but anywho...My rant is now over. Thank you for tuning into another post about hating the gaga comparison.
Vanilla
Vanilla

Back to top Go down

Post by MoonChildLuis Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:25 am

This article is ridiculus, the writer must not have an ear for music.
MoonChildLuis
MoonChildLuis

http://www.myspace.com/siberian777

Back to top Go down

Post by PhoenixLlewellyn Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:43 am

MoonChildLuis wrote:This article is ridiculus, the writer must not have an ear for music.

What you said Smile
Cause if I read this article any further Ill rant haha.
And when I rant, I make no sense XD Lmao
PhoenixLlewellyn
PhoenixLlewellyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down