Table of Love
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kerli brings "Bubble Goth" to America

5 posters

Go down

Kerli brings "Bubble Goth" to America Empty Kerli brings "Bubble Goth" to America

Post by Natt Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:18 am

Washington Square News

Kerli brings "Bubble Goth" to America

Most Americans have never heard of Kerli, an Estonian pop artist signed with Def Jam Recordings, though she is well known in her home country and was recently named one of the Top 100 Most Influential Estonian Women.

Though her promotional single "Army of Love" from her upcoming second album hit number four on Billboard's Hot Dance/Club Songs chart for the week of April 16, it is uncertain whether Kerli will be accepted into the mainstream American music scene, since her "Bubble Goth" aesthetic differs so dramatically from most listeners' expectations.

With a cult-like following, Kerli calls her fans "MoonChildren" because they abide by her mantra of integrity, love and unity.

"'Bubble Goth' is the scene that I'm creating with the MoonChildren," she said. "'Bubble Goth' is just as much a sound as it is visual or fashion. It's all about putting together light and dark, cute and hard, the opposites. Putting an unexpected twist on everything."

The official "MoonChildren" symbol is a teddy bear named I-Loo who "is actually our guardian angel who we collectively named," she said. "He is wearing a gas mask to protect innocence."

In her earlier album "Love is Dead," Kerli said, "my writing process was very introverted — it was just me and music. With the new album I'm going out into the world and trying to tap into what people are feeling and thinking."

Since then, Kerli's sound has switched from slow instrumental chanting/soft rock/pop to upbeat, techno pop. Her second, currently unnamed album was inspired by artists like Enya and "90s Euro-trash like Aqua" and is set to release in late summer or early fall of this year. Her lyrics are inspired by Estonian cultural elements, which include nymphs and fairies.

Some listeners might be put off by Kerli's "Bubble Goth" movement, but maybe the generation that accepted the weirdness of Lady Gaga and Rihanna will accept Kerli as a household name too.

http://www.nyunews.com/arts/2011/04/14/14kerli/
Natt
Natt

http://kerliland.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Kerli brings "Bubble Goth" to America Empty Re: Kerli brings "Bubble Goth" to America

Post by Hexe Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:24 am

not only in america, i hope that this style music is goin to come in italy and europe too Very Happy

Hexe

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/profile.php?id=1258204190

Back to top Go down

Kerli brings "Bubble Goth" to America Empty Re: Kerli brings "Bubble Goth" to America

Post by Claudia Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:32 am

And Australia!

Once it hits America it'll come to Australia Very Happy
Claudia
Claudia

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1415701602&ref=search

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragdoll*Bunny Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:34 am

Lately I've been heard many new artists that have a different sound (and who is now shooting for mainstream) and is doing well, so Kerli of course has a shot.

Ragdoll*Bunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Krissy Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:14 am

Yeah, She seems to have more fans outside US!

When she makes it big in US,She will make it big in canada.

I guess you need to make it huge in america before u can make it in the whole world.

Krissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down