Table of Love
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ideas or instructions, anyone?

4 posters

Go down

Ideas or instructions, anyone? Empty Ideas or instructions, anyone?

Post by Tara Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:14 pm

I guess this counts as a hand craft! Razz
So my living room currently has this jungle type theme to it, but lately I've been growing very weary of it and I want to create something more beautiful and elegant with more of my personality to it.
Soooo I was thinking about taking all of the "jungly" stuff; paintings, wall hangings, etc. and moving it to the spare room and make that room the jungle theme.
I've got these two BEAUTIFUL angel posters from ebay that I am going to frame and hang where the Dominican art and cheetah painting are now.
I've also got this gorgeous winged back old style chair that I rescued from a neighbors bulk garbage (It is in perfect condition besides one little scratch...she was CRAZY to get rid of it, these chairs are very expensive as well). It's got this really nice bluish-green color and it matches one of the shades in my posters. I'm going to try and make the room look a bit "antiquish" if you will.
I've also got this rocking chair I got for my first Christmas when I was a couple weeks old. My brother is repairing it for me and my Grandmother is going to cover the cushions with new fabric to match the winged back chair.
I've got covers for a few pieces of furniture that I may just dye black or just repaint the things.
The problem I have is my couch and chair. I have them covered with brown blankets right now to match the current theme of the room. They have the UGLIEST pattern on them. Brown with brown flowers and vines and I hate it, plus blankets just thrown over a chair looks really sloppy (You'd have to see it to appreciate it's ugliness, but I took them because they were in good condition and I needed the furniture). PLUS it won't go with my new theme idea anyway.
I've been looking at covers you can buy for couches and chairs and they are ridiculously expensive. I can't afford it. So I've been thinking of buying fabric and trying to cover them myself. My Grandmother refuses to help me with this because she is stubborn (LOL) and thinks that if we do it it'll look terrible and we'll ruin the furniture. I on the other hand have faith that it could look alright. It doesn't need to be be extremely perfect, just passable and all of the ugly print covered.
So my question is, has anyone on here attempted to cover a couch and/or chair like this before? If you have suggestions or ideas they would be more than welcome. You'd be helping me finish my dream apartment Very Happy
I can post pictures of the couch and chair in the raw if this will help as well.
Tara
Tara

https://www.facebook.com/beautiful86strange

Back to top Go down

Ideas or instructions, anyone? Empty Re: Ideas or instructions, anyone?

Post by Forace Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:12 am

I have thought about covering our couch! It's grey and has beige flowers and vines on it, if you can believe the coincidence xD
It's really faded and ugly, dogs and a cat have pissed on it, the cat scratches his claws on it... >_<
So I've been wanting to make a cover for it. It would have to be a removable one, so I can wash it every now and then. I think making one wouldn't be that complicated; I'd just take the measurements of the couch all around, and just sort of, sew the fabric around it :D Then I'd put something at the bottom to secure it better, like... elastic or something to tie it with. I guess looking at the seams of the couch would help a bit?
Forace
Forace

http://forace.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jayson526 Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:11 am

good luck with this it seems like a huge task but if you can get it done this room sounds like it will be a beauty cant wait till you invite me for a sleepover XD
jayson526
jayson526

Back to top Go down

Post by RabidBearLove Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:24 pm

I asked my mom (she's a steamstress and has made plenty of cushion covers before), and she said that the level of difficulty depends on the fabric, if you'd be using a sewing machine (this being if you plan to do it yourself), whether or not you're using a zipper, and the amount of detailing you want the covers to have. However, if it's the whole couch you want covered, I would sugest finding an uphosterer. Smile Good luck and I hope this post was helpful!

RabidBearLove

Back to top Go down

Post by Tara Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:58 pm

Thanks or the help guys. I've asked my parents for fitted covers for the couch, arm chair and wing back chair for Christmas. It's something I think I would have to dance and freak out if they actually got them for me. It'll make SUCH a difference. You can't even fathom how incredibly fugly the couch and chair are. A nasty shade of brown with ugly brown flowers and ugly windmills or some weird shit on them lmao.
Plus I've got all this awesome stuff to redecorate with. The angel pictures and some fancy candles...oooomg it'll look beautiful....pleassseeeeeeeeee I hope I get them LOL.
Tara
Tara

https://www.facebook.com/beautiful86strange

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down